language:

 Gravedona.it lake Como

Town : History : Monuments : Tourism : Sport : Route : Feast days : Accommodations

[home page]
 

[Web Cam]
Gravedona live!!!

[Maps]
Road map of Como lake

[Events]
List of events and shows in Gravedona and in the area of Como Lake

[Images]
Collection of pictures of Gravedona and the Lake region

[Weather]
next forecast 12 hours

[Gadgets]
Desktop backgounds of Gravedona

 

Monuments > S. Vincenzo Church

Built in roman style around 1072 over a V century paleochristian basilica with three naves and three arches.
Parts of the external walls and apses of the old building are still visible; even the crypt, dedicated to St. Anthony, could be in the initial presbytarial area which was later raised due to the frequent inundations of the lake.
The parish church was restored in 1600 and in 1726 a harmonious two-winged colonnade was added which englobes the two chapels of San Michele and of Santa Marta; the former contains an 18th century painting depicting The Holy Virgin between Saint Michael and Saint Vincent and above the latter was the "Lazaretto".
The inside of the church is rich with paintings, vestments and church plates often placed in impressive marble alterpieces from the 1700s. In the chapel of San Francesco hangs an oil painting of "St. Francis receiving the stigmata" and in the adjacent chapel "La Crucifissione tra i disciplini" and in the third a 1600s painting of "San Gerolamo".
Under the pulpit with wooden organ from the 1700s we can still read two Christian funeral inscriptions on the wall dating 502 and 508. On the right in the chapel of San Biagio a 1600 painting is kept with a "Miracle of the Saint", and on the next alter we find a frontal of scagliola with floral decorations and with birds hidden among the baroque volutes. In the chapel dedicated to San Giuseppe we find an alter-piece of the Holy Family with the Everlasting Father and the Holy Spirit ascribed to Giovanni Baglione a pupil of Caravaggio.
On the walls of the presbytary there are two large paintings depicting St. Vincent before the sultan" and the Martyrdom of the Saint" both signed by Michelangelo Bellotti in 1735.
In the vestry, together with the door to the ancona of the organ, the faithful reproduction of an elegant gold cross of the famous chiseller Francesco Ser Gregori is kept, the original one having being stolen.
index monuments

sponsor dx gravedona.it

sponsor:

Camping Gefara

Campeggio Le Vele

Residence windsurf

Nautica Domaso

Hotel La Villa

Hotel Regina

top  |  home  | Site map | Search | Contact us

powered by tommstudio - computer service :: larioonline.it - lake Como and lake Lugano travel guide

 

See more:
Italy travel guide : Tuscany life & holiday : Sea of Liguria : Gulf of Naples : Sicily Island
Rome : Florence : Venice : Milan : Naples
Lake Como : Lake Maggiore : Lake Garda : Lake Iseo : Accommodations Italian lakes
Italian Alps : Dolomites Summer & Winter : Valtellina on line